I’ve talked before about how your blog can help your career (for both writing/photography careers and others). Today I’m talking specific careers that you could go into from blogging. All of these careers involve more training in their area, but these will hopefully give you an idea of what you might pursue based on what skills you already have and/or are really interested in from blogging.
This is the no-brainer. As bloggers, we write on a regular basis. Of course, how much you write depends on you. If you’re like me, you’re writing a couple thousand words a week. The more you write, the better you’ll get at it.
• Author (novel or non-fiction)
• Travel writer
• Freelance writer (fiction or non-fiction)
We market our blogs and ourselves every day! From advertising our posts to writing the about page, we do some marketing. I haven’t studying marketing or anything, so I know that I would definitely need more training to do any of these – keep that in mind if you’re looking to go into one of these!
• Public relations
• Press secretary
• Brand manager
• Marketing specialists
• Advertising manager
• Promotions manager
• Social media manager
When we take photos for our blogs and edit them, we get skills that would put us on the right track. You may need to go to art school or take some courses on photography and photo editing, but you’re already on the right track to continue in this field.
• Event photographer (parties, weddings, etc.)
• Aerial photographer
• Fine arts photographer
• Advertising photographer
• Sports photographer
• Architecture photographer
• Fashion photographer
• Food photographer
• Portrait photographer
• Product photographer
• Forensic photographer
• Creative/art director
• Brand identity developer
• Logo designer
• Multimedia developer
• Content developer
• Visual journalist
• Web designer
• Flash designer
• Photo editing/Photoshop artist
• Layout artist
I personally am a lifestyle blogger, so I tend to cover all these topics in my blog. But I know there are many of you who focus on just one area. Here are some career paths based on your niche.
• Fashion: fashion designer; fashion magazine (writer, photographer, editor); model; fashion or style editor or writer at a website or newspaper; fashion buyer; stylist; jewelry designer; working in marketing at a store or fashion label; personal shopper
• Beauty: creator of your own beauty line; working at a beauty company as writer, photographer, or marketer; beauty editor or writer at a magazine, website, or newspaper; beauty buyer; makeup artist; cosmetologist
• Food: chef; food writer; food photographer; restaurant owner or manager; cookware creator; restaurant reviewer; cookbook writer; marketing for a restaurant, cookware company, or grocery store
• Travel: travel writer, travel photographer, hotel reviewer, restaurant reviewer
• Healthy living: workout gear creator; yoga teacher; exercise instructor; yoga or exercise studio owner; marketing for an exercise studio; photographer for a healthy-living magazine, website, or store; expert at a workout store; trainer
• Local area: restaurant reviewer, tour guide, spokesman, marketing
• Books: writer, book editor, book reviewer, marketing for a publishing house, owning or working at a book store
Hope this is helpful!